When it comes to choosing the best treatments for windows in your home, blinds are the trending options that top the list. Though you may have to spend a little more for blinds than you would for curtains, the investment is totally worth it as they last longer with the right maintenance. When you invest in blinds, you would want to continue looking good for several years down the lane. If you fail to clean and maintain properly, you might have to replace them earlier than expected.
This article explains how to clean and maintain different types of window blinds for a long lifespan.
Different Cleaning Methods
You can employ different cleaning methods for maintaining your depending on their condition:
- Dusting: Dust the blinds regularly with a feather duster or a soft and clean cloth. This is the only cleaning needed in most situations.
- Vacuuming: You can use a handheld vacuum cleaner to deep clean the blinds. If you are following this method, use a long bristle brush attachment and a low suction setting.
- Spot Cleaning: Use a mild detergent mixed with warm water. Dampen a soft, clean cloth by dipping it in this solution and squeezing it out. Dab it on the spot until the stain is gone. Ensure not to rub harshly. Let it dry thoroughly.
Cleaning Different Types of Blinds
Irrespective of the that you have procured the product from, the cleaning procedure is the same.
PVC Window Blinds
It is pretty simple to clean and maintain PVC blinds:
- Tilt the slats of the blinds in an upward position and begin dusting using a dry, soft cloth or a feather duster. Tilt the slats downwards and repeat this process.
- Use a damp cloth after dusting to clean the slats. This helps in removing the dust and dirt that are stuck to the slats. Follow this process by tilting the slats upwards and downwards.
- During this process, ensure to repeatedly damp the cloth and change the water as and when needed.
Wooden blinds are known for providing a natural feel and look to any space. They need extra care so as to prolong their lifespan as they are a natural product. Here’s how you can clean wooden blinds:
- Before beginning with the cleaning process, give wooden blinds a proper dust. Use a feather duster and dust them lightly by tilting the slats downwards and upwards.
- Once you’re done with dusting, you can now deep clean the blinds by running a vacuum cleaner along the slats.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals or making the blinds wet as this can shorten their lifespan. Also, stay away from using abrasive scrubs or solvents.
Aluminium blinds are best suited for spaces like kitchen and bathroom that need water-resistant products. Cleaning these blinds is quite simple.
- Use a soft cloth, brush or duster to get rid of dust settled on the surface of these blinds.
- After dusting, you can use a mild liquid cleaner and wipe it clean using a soft cloth. Allow them to dry completely. Your aluminium blinds will now look as good as new.
By following the procedures discussed above, you can ensure that you can prolong the lifespan of your blinds in a sparkling clean condition.