How To Get Off Zopiclone Safely? Super Meds
Zopiclone is a hypnotic medicine that is commonly prescribed for the short-term treatment of insomnia. The drug shows its effect by acting on the Central Nervous System of the body and inducing a feeling of relaxation and sleep. Zopiclone is quite effective in treating insomnia and is one of the most prescribed hypnotics in the UK. For many people receiving Zopiclone to enjoy peaceful sleep, getting off Zopiclone is a real challenge, if you want to know how to get off zopiclone then this blog is for you.
How Is Discontinuing Zopiclone Troublesome?
Zopiclone is a sedative and works by tranquillizing the brain. And perhaps this is the major reason for limiting the use of Zopiclone to a short duration of only 4 weeks.
This issue occurs with abrupt discontinuation of the drug. Hence, the major precaution of using hypnotics is to taper down the dose.
How To Get Off Zopiclone safely?
Zopiclone is very useful for treating insomnia when used rationally. However, its injudicious use can lead to serious problems like dependence, addiction, withdrawal syndrome, and rebound insomnia.
- The first and foremost thing users of Zopiclone need to remember is that Zopiclone is only a temporary solution to your sleepless nights. It is only going to help you through your difficult time, but do not consider it your lifetime partner against insomnia.
- Users of Zopiclone must consider before starting to take this drug, that all hypnotics have addictive potential and can cause dependence when not used rationally.
- Therefore, to avoid the side effects and to promote the effectiveness of Zopiclone, rational use is the ultimate gateway.
Guidelines Towards Rational Use
The side effects associated with Zopiclone use can be easily taken care of simply by following the guidelines:
- Take Zopiclone drug once at nighttime before going to sleep every day.
- Be consistent with this drug and do not miss a dose.
In case a dose is missed, continue with the regular regimen, and never administer a double dose.
- Remember to complete the prescribed duration of therapy without discontinuing in between.
- Do not administer this drug with alcohol or any drink containing caffeine. Alcohol increases the sedative effect of Zopiclone and hence your chances of developing an addiction. Caffeine, on the other hand, is a CNS stimulant and taking it with Zopiclone can nullify the hypnotic effect. As a rule, caffeine should be avoided when you are experiencing insomnia.
- Zopiclone is not indicated to be used for more than 4 weeks, and its chronic use must always be discouraged.
- Upon discontinuation, the dose of Zopiclone must be tapered off in a manner devised by your doctor or pharmacist. Abrupt discontinuation of Zopiclone is associated with most of its undesirable side effects.
- After discontinuation of Zopiclone, you might find it difficult to adjust to your normal sleep pattern, but that is nothing to worry about.
- Adopting healthy habits such as laying down for sleep at an appropriate time to attain a sleep of 7-8 hours, eating a healthy diet and drinking good amounts of water, mild exercise or practising yoga regularly have proven helpful to successfully wear off the effects of Zopiclone.
- Other suggestions include avoiding daytime naps and avoiding caffeinated drinks, alcohol, and nicotine.
- Practising other relaxation techniques such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy has a significant effect.
- For example, stop worrying about not getting enough sleep or avoiding thoughts such as ‘how will you wake up tomorrow after not sleeping enough?’ or ‘this is going to affect your daytime activities’ etc.
- The principle behind this therapy involves relaxing the mind to relax the body to avoid restlessness which is one major reason for insomnia.
In conclusion, do not fear using Zopiclone thinking of its side effects. Following the guidelines of your doctor and adopting healthy habits throughout are our ultimate advice to you to safely get off Zopiclone.